Author: Baird, K
Title: A Study of Vernacular Buildings in Buckden and Langstrothdale
Article Reference Date: 1946
Journal Title: The Dalesman
View current map
SD 97 NW BUCKDEN HUBBERHOLME, Scar House,
First listed 10th September 1954, Grade II
Dated 1697 for James Tennant but with possibly earlier 17 century and 18 century remains.
The front wall following and plan transformed 1876 for John William Ramsden of Buckden House. Coursed limestone rubble, graduated stone slate roof. 2 storeys, 3 bays. Quoins. A half-glazed 20 century door to right of centre in a rusticated quoined surround having pulvinated frieze, moulded cornice over a stone date plaque with " T " in raised letters and 4-petal flower I A 1698 motif. A plaque above has in raised letters "REBUILT" Mullioned windows JWR 1876 of 2, 4, and 4 lights to each floor.
Stone gutter brackets, shaped kneelers, gable copings, corniced end stacks.
Rear: 17 century recessed chamfered mullions of 3 and 5 lights to ground floor and 3 and 4 lights above; there is a large rectangular stair window centre with 20 century glazing and below it a blocked round arched single-light window.
Left return: a 20 century glazed door in chamfered quoined surround with cambered head, left. Right return: stages plinth; 2 low windows with reused or transformed 17 century surrounds.
Interior: the front door opens into a narrow passage, the left wall an inserted partition, with door into left and right rooms; a thick cross wall divides the front room from the rear entryway lobby left, central 1876 staircase, and pantry/buttery right.
Ground floor left - the primary living room has a large fireplace with chamfered voussoirs of an archway to left, now with a 4-panel door into a small storeroom with stone shelves. The fireplace has an inner arch with finely worked cyma mouldings to the voussoirs and jambs.
The front parlour, right, has an inserted partition wall with built-in cupboard, the partition creating a narrow 'toolroom' to the rear, between the parlour and rear dairy, which has a stone salting slab inscribed " IT 1694".
The house was the property of the Tennant family in the 17 century; George Fox preached there in 1652. The Inventory of James Tennant, the builder of the earliest remains surviving, is dated 1719 and refers to the primary chambers on 2 floors and garrets, perhaps in the roof. K.Baird, A Study of Vernacular Architecture in Buckden and Langstrothdale, M.A. Dissertation, University of Manchester, 1987. A. RaistricK, The Dalesman, 1946