Search
Search

Maps Of The Yorkshire Dales

Early Maps

The first detailed maps of The Yorkshire Dales were by Joan Blaeu in 1665 and John Speed in 1676.

Travellers may have been a little confused by Joan Blaeu's map showing "Starbotte" north of "Buckden". So up to the beginning of the 19th Century, it could be said that the maps of John Speed were likely to be the most accurate, although even these only showed rivers and place names.

The First Detailed Map

The Ordnance Survey started mapping The Yorkshire Dales in 1847. It took 2 years to survey, 1847 to 1848, it was then contoured in 1851, engraved in 1852 and finally published on 31st March 1852. At 6" to 1 mile (1:10,560) the detail was incredible. The area of Langstrothdale was contained in Sheet 98 covering Buckden; Kettlewell with Starbotton; Litton. Each sheet was 6 miles by 4 miles. There have been three revisions since then: 1896, 1910 and 2008.

 

Resources

Maps Online

Click on these links to view maps in fantastic detail:
1663 The Dales by GERHARD MERCATOR
1665 The Dales by JOAN BLEAU         

1676 The Dales by JOHN SPEED
1863 Richmond by MUDGE/COLBY (O/S)
1852 Ordnance Survey
1896 Ordnance Survey
1910 Ordnance Survey

See The Changes

Have a look below at the changes we have seen since the first survey in 1847. Using the interactive slider on the images you can easily compare each map revision.

© Reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland

Ordnance Survey 1852 & 1896

Drag the centre bar Right or Left to compare the maps.

What's In a Name:
In 1852 the area to the west and below Scar House was listed as Rays Wood. In 1896 this was amended to Rais Wood.

Making Tracks:
In 1852 there was a path down the hillside from Scar House to Sanders Barn. The footpath from Cray to Scar House appears in 1896. Plus the track up from Hubberholme to Scar House goes through some subtle changes.

The Road Ahead:
In 1852 the road into Hubberholme from Buckden touches on the river above the old Vicarage. In 1896 it has been re-routed to its current form. Was a building knocked down to make way for the new route? There is certainly something missing next to the river in the 1896 map.

Ordnance Survey 1896 & 1910

Drag the centre bar Right or Left to compare the maps.


Knott Barn....
or Not Knott Barn:

In 1852 Knott Barn and Home Barn are clearly shown and named above and west of Scar House. Forty years later they both loose thier names, although Home Barn re-appears as Knott Barn in 1909. You have to wonder when this cartographer's mistake happened and which is right. Most of the other Barns and Houses retain their names.

Ordnance Survey 1910 & 2008

Drag the centre bar Right or Left to compare the maps.

Gone, But Not Forgotten:
Many houses and barns once occupied and named have long been empty and fallen into dissrepair. On the modern Ordnance Survey Explorer maps, many of the old names are omitted and all that is visible to the walker are piles of stones.

How long before these are forgotten all together....

RIP
HODGING HOUSE, LAURANCE HOUSE, GREAT HOLME BARN, HIGH CLOSE BARN, FAR CLOSE BARN, WEST CLOSE BARN, SANDERS BARN, BOUTHER GILL BARN, STRANS WOOD BARN

Copyright 2017 by Scar House Terms Of Use Privacy Statement
Back To Top